Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tears

I am grateful for tears. Not these kind of tears...
And not these kind of tears...
Let me explain...

My family is blessed (or is it cursed) with crying when we laugh. People really know that we're laughing hard when tears start pouring out.

I was in the middle of correcting the daily language review with my class today when a student let out a squeal. It was a mix between a squeal and a scream. A high-pitched one. This student is a boy. I looked over at him and he gasped and covered his mouth. I don't think he meant to scream. It caught me off guard and his face just looked so cute--I couldn't help but laugh. And then he started laughing and I laughed even more. I just completely lost it in front of my class and the tears started coming. So much that I couldn't even read the paper we were correcting.

It's times like this when I remember that teaching can be fun. Sometimes I put too much pressure on my students and on myself and it's not enjoyable anymore. I was reminded today that tears CAN be okay in my classroom. Tears of joy and tears of laughter. When those kinds of tears come, my students can see me as a real person and I can see my students as young kids, which is what they are. I'm grateful for tears. :)

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding?! It's most definitely a curse!! That's cute, though.

    ReplyDelete