1. My dad loves his grandkids. And they love him! He plays with them so well and is so willing to just get on the floor or throw them around. They love it!!

2. My dad knows how to be silly. A word I often use when describing my dad is "punny." He is so good with playing on words, even though sometimes we don't get it. :) When he and his "peer group" friends get together it is just a crack up. Whether they're speaking in their own made up B-language or remembering things they did in their childhood, it is fun to just sit back and listen. I'm so glad my dad has a sense of humor and can have fun. :)

3. My dad loves his kids. He always lets us know how proud he is of us and is always willing to give his squeezing bear hugs. (I think he gets the squeeze from his dad. :) )
4. My dad loves taking trips, even day trips. My dad loves to learn and is always looking for a place to take the family where we can be more "cultured." I love that about him! Arizona has been harder for us to get out on those trips after living in the Baltimore/DC area with SO many things to do so close to us. But we have discovered different kinds of things that don't involve just going in the backyard for a swim. He we are after hiking to some place where people used to live. Looks like I sure learned a lot on this day trip. :) Oops!

5. My dad is an amazing Christ-like example to me in my life. He is always trying to do what is right and has such a great eternal perspective. He has been an amazing support to me in the church my whole entire life and continues to be that great support.
6. My dad is smart. He has an answer to every question, it's insane. He loves education (he works with it for a living) and is always ready to learn more and to teach others. I remember having flash cards at a very young age learning to read. This picture is more of a joke--he's really not that big of a nerd. Just a little one. :)

7. My dad can sleep anywhere. He works so hard that once he gets home (or anywhere comfortable) he is out. Here he is sleeping at Melanie's reception (before it started, don't worry. He's really happy and friendly when he needs to be awake.)

8. My dad was a great missionary in Norway back in the day! He has kept in touch with at least one family he taught while he was there. A couple years ago we were able to meet the daughter of the couple he baptized while she was on HER mission at Temple Square. It was so neat to see the results of work he did as a 19 year old boy come to pass.

9. My dad loves to catch little creatures. There are lizards all over in Arizona so maybe it's not as exciting anymore, but as a kid I always remember him catching frogs or lizards or turtles. Anything he could get his hands on. We wouldn't keep them, he just wanted to catch them for the fun of it. Actually, one time we did keep a few tadpoles he caught and we watched them turn into frogs. That was a lot of fun!

10. My dad loves my mom. And he's not afraid to show it. I can't remember one moment in my whole entire life where I saw my dad get upset with my mom. I knew without a doubt that he loved her and worked hard to protect and care for her, as well as the rest of my family. President McKay once said "The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." I know my dad did and continues to do that!

I am so grateful have my dad in my life. I was at the wedding of 2 friends yesterday and I about lost it at the end when the father of the bride gave his daughter a huge hug. The love parents have for their children and the love children have for their parents can be a bond so strong that emotions pour out like crazy. I sat there and told myself I can never get married. I'll just cry my eyes out. :) Thanks, Dad, for all you do for our family. I love you!

Janae,
ReplyDeleteThank you SO much for your kind words! You are so wonderful to your old dad! You give me great incentives to live up to what you say.
Love you!
Dad