Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Does the Flag Mean to You?

This was the question I was asked to answer for the school flag ceremony on Monday. After a weekend of thinking about what I would say, I finally decided to be more personal than I typically am with my students (and entire school). I asked the kids if they knew anyone or had a family member in the military. Tons of hands shot up. I then projected this picture (and subsequently the following pictures):
I told the school that this was my sister, Melanie, and her family. Her husband is in the National Guard. He flies helicopters.
I told them that my nephew Mason is 4 and my niece Jade is almost 1.
I told them that Robbie flies helicopters about once a week and one weekend every month. He was going to be leaving for a whole year soon (although soon is now NEXT October...not in a few weeks).
I told them that when I see the flag, I think of Melanie, Mason, and Jade, and all they sacrifice by having their husband and dad serving in the military.
I told them that when I see the flag, I think about all the families who sacrifice family members to serving their country.
I managed to contain my tears while I spoke of these tender feelings, but I sure felt them coming. How grateful I am for those who serve our country so freely. And how grateful I am for the families who sacrifice so much in support of our freedoms.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pics! What a cute little family! And I am sure it was just the best flag raising ceremony with your sweet thoughts and words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete